It can be sometimes hard to come up with cost effective ways to improve productivity at your auto repair shop.
With the long hours and the day-to-day business demands, you don’t have much time to explore ways to boost productivity. To help get you started, we’ve come up with a list of quick and easy techniques to increase productivity at your auto repair shop.
These productivity tips will make your employees and yourself more efficient. You’ll accomplish more than you ever thought was possible.
Here are the top 10 ways to increase productivity at your auto shop.
1. Communicate: Communication is one of the most important things that you can do to increase productivity. Regularly talk with technicians and staff on the progress of repairs. Be sure the lines of communication are always open so employees can report problems.
2. Create Productivity Lists: It’s important to keep track of what everyone is doing. Be sure to have a list of repairs nearby to help schedule technicians where needed. Have a calendar to help plan ahead for busy times of the year.
3. Embrace Technology: Technology is meant to make your job easier not harder. Look for tools and computer systems that will improve your auto repair shop. Updating your auto repair shop management software or tire shops management software can significantly improve productivity.
4. Plan Better: Planning is an important part of improving productivity. Plan your staffing ahead of time. Plan weeks ahead. Remember a plan can be revisited. If things are not running smoothly, update the plan. Also, be sure to write the plan down on paper.
5. Set Deadlines: Set deadlines for yourself and employees. These deadlines are not set in stone. They can be flexible. The whole point is to create time limits on repair work to increase productivity. If more time is needed have other technicians help out on the repairs.
6. Hire Good Employees: Take the time to interview lots of people. Don’t settle on the first person that meets the qualifications. Weigh your options and be sure to check references. This will help to ensure you hire good technicians.
7. Train Your Technicians And Staff: If you want to be productive, you need a top-notch staff. Take the time to properly train employees. If you have a training manual, go over it with them. Have someone you trust train them on policies and how to operate important tools and machinery.
8. Delegate Responsibility: Trusting others to solve problems will significantly increase the productivity at your auto repair shop. If you’ve hired good employees and trained them well, there should be no problems with delegating responsibility to them.
9. Create Meaningful Breaks: Taking breaks are important in improving productivity. It’s hard to fit breaks in when the auto shop is busy, but they’re important. Breaks allow you and your technicians to reset and relax. This in turn makes you more productive.
10. Appreciate Technicians And Staff: Take the time to tell someone when they’re doing a good job. This shows that you appreciate their work. It also will encourage them to keep up the productivity.
Following these 10 tips will help to improve productivity at your auto repair shop.
If you’re looking for new ways to improve productivity, schedule a demo of our FastTrak auto shop management software. You can find more information on our website at https://fasttrakauto.com/.